Friday, October 31, 2008

Voting hopes not fears

You can count me among those who won't be scared into voting for Republicans in the General Election. I've done my research, checked the facts and it's the Democrats who look good to me.

From Barack Obama and Joe Biden at the top of the ticket, through Mark Schauer for Congress in the 7th district and Pam Byrnes for State Representative, we're blessed with excellent candidates. I'm convinced that they will work to make sure our country and state get through these challenging times in the best possible shape. The Democrats running for Washtenaw County offices will do the same for the county.

There are great candidates on the non-partisan section of the ballot, too. One whom I think deserves special mention is Judge Diane Marie Hathaway, a candidate for Michigan Supreme Court Justice who will bring much-needed change. She is tough, fair and impartial, and will protect middle-class families and fight special interests.

It's unfortunate that the campaign which is now drawing to a close has brought out the worst in many Republican candidates and campaigners. I'm hoping that on November 5 we will put all the ugliness behind us and unite to do the important work that lies ahead.